Nutrition Month 2013
March is Nutrition Month! Healthy eating begins at the grocery store, as this is where we purchase most of our food. Yet this is also where we are bombarded with thousands of choices. This year’s Nutrition Month Campaign – Best Food Forward: Plan Shop Cook Enjoy! – is dedicated to serving up practical advice on navigating the grocery store from Registered Dietitians, the food and nutrition experts.
Nutrition Month is an annual campaign of the Dietitians of Canada.
- For more information and tips, visit www.dietitians.ca/
- Follow @NLnutrition2013 on Twitter for nutrition tips and the latest news about Nutrition Month 2013!
- Daily tips delivered to your smart phone: www.eaTipster.ca
- Take a virtual grocery store tour
- Check out this personalized menu planner!
Dietitians across the province are organizing over 25 events, including grocery store tours, classroom activities, cooking classes, and film screenings. For the complete Nutrition Month Activity Map visit: http://www.dietitians.ca/Your-
Free FSN Teleconference: Nutrition Month 2013: Best Food Forward: Plan, Shop, Cook, Enjoy! (Rescheduled)
When: Monday, March 25
Time: 12:00 pm – 1:00 pm (Newfoundland Standard Time)
Join us for a teleconference that will bring together dietitians and the Food Security Network NL in providing advice on how to shop for nutritious food at the grocery store, the farm, and the garden. Plan for healthy meals while incorporating local food into your diet.
Who will benefit from this teleconference?
- This teleconference will be a great resource for organizers of community kitchens, buying clubs, and family nutrition programs. Pass on the knowledge to your program participants.
- Parents looking to make meal planning healthier and incorporate local food into their diets.
- Anyone looking to become more informed on how to shop for healthy food, and how to shop locally
- Vanessa Young, Regional Nutritionist, Central Health
- Lisa Dooley, Clinical Dietitian, Eastern Health
- Rick Kelly, Food Security Network NL
The presentation will be followed by an opportunity for questions and discussion.
About FSN teleconferences: Participants call in to a free 1-800 number which connects them to the presenter and all the other participants. Before the teleconference FSN distributes, via email, the call-in instructions as well as a PDF presentation to follow along with on your own computer.
Screen Nourish in Your Community
Showing this film in your community is a great way to bring together a group of people working on a common food initiative to plan for the coming year, or to spark discussion among the general public about improving access to healthy, local food in your community. Consider hosting a screening along with a healthy potluck, at an already planned meeting or event, or with a group of people interested in food issues in your community.
About Nourish: With beautiful visuals and inspiring stories, the Nourish film traces our relationship to food from a global perspective to personal action steps. Nourish illustrates how food connects to such issues as biodiversity, climate change, public health, and social justice. (Trailer: www.nourishlife.org/2011/03/
FSN has several copies of the film and will distribute it to community partners at no cost. Contact Rick Kelly at richardkelly@foodsecuritynews.