Our Heritage, Our Future: A Celebration of Newfoundland & Labrador’s Local Food
Root Cellars Rock is a provincial project hosted by the Food Security Network of Newfoundland & Labrador (FSN).
Why the name Root Cellars Rock? Root cellars are a symbol of Newfoundland & Labrador’s unique food heritage and potential for increased food self-sufficiency.
Objectives of Root Cellars Rock
1. Inspire creation of a local food system that provides nourishing food produced in a sustainable manner to all residents of the province
2. Celebrate Newfoundland and Labrador’s healthy food traditions
3. Support the people that work to provide local food
4. Enhance individuals’ food skills and build community capacity for increased self-sufficiency
5. Encourage individuals to take an active role in community food initiatives
6. Build provincial awareness through knowledge transfer
The 4 Ps of Local Food
Root Cellars Rock is focused around the 4 Ps of Local Food, coined by and in memory of local organic farmer, community animator and environmentalist, Neil Tilley.
Planting- How to grow food
Picking- How to harvest food
Preparing- How to make healthy meals
Preserving- How to store food